is ccache working?

fabio de francesco iquest at alice.it
Sun Aug 1 12:16:05 BST 2010

On Sunday 01 August 2010 11:42:29 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 01.08.10 11:19:19, fabio de francesco wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have the line "export CCACHE_DIR=/home/kdevel/var/tmp/ccache" in my
> > /home/kdevel/.bashrc but I don't find any file in that directory. Did I
> > miss something needed to make ccache properly working?
>
> This doesn't really have anything to do with KDE, you need to make sure
> that gcc/g++/... are pointing to ccache and not the real compiler.
> Usually this is done by setting up apropriate symlinks called gcc/g++
> somewhere in a directory and putting that directory first in PATH.
>
> Andreas

I see that /usr/bin/gcc is not a symbolic link to ccache, anyway ccache is
working system wide and it regularly writes caches to /var/tmp/ccache. By
using "find /var/tmp/ccache -cmin 60" I see that these files are regularly
updated when I compile programs with Gentoo's "emerge world". Because of
ccache working with system updates I wouldn't make links that can break things
as they are now.

Therefore I've made both /home/kdevel/bin/g++ and /home/kdevel/bin/gcc
symbolic links to /usr/bin/ccache. The /home/kdevel/bin directory is the first
listed in $PATH for the kdevel user. After doing this I re-compiled kdelibs as
kdevel user and then I checked /home/kdevel/var/tmp/ccache, but the directory
is still empty.

I think this problem is KDE related because the advice to export CCACHE_DIR in
~/.bashrc is taken from the tutorial in developing KDE from the
techbase.kde.org site.

Please, what am I missing?

Regards,

fabio