New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Apr 29 16:58:18 BST 2010

On 29.04.10 08:17:03, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On April 28, 2010, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > I know, I recall seeing a review-request. But there was no sign that
> > this is going live and when this is going live _before_ the commit. The
>
> that's the entire POINT of a review request and why they get forwarded to
> important mailing lists like this. if you want to provide feedback, then
> provide feedback then.

My main problem with this was that it wasn't announced before and no a
review-request is not enough. There should be a warning send to all major
lists (in particular kde-devel and eventually the kde-cvs-announce list)
before adding a new dependency and with a concrete date when this new
dependency is added. A review request is not the right tool for doing that,
its the right tool to discuss what the code using the new dep will look
like.

> > And the review-request wasn't posted to the buildsystem list at all,
> > which is a requirement before introducing new, especially installed,
> > cmake files.
>
> yes, apparently it is according to this:
>
> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Commit_Policy
>
> in future i'll try and ensure that happens when its something that touches my
> code or code i work with.

I'd like to note that this is not new and has been posted to all major
lists when it went into effect sometime last year (IIRC).

> that said, this is a tempest in a teatpot as the code is getting feedback it
> needs (and valid issues are being addressed) and it will be part of 4.5.

Yeap, I'm going to stop contributing to the flamewar now and will just wait
until the dust settled before updating kdelibs :)

Andreas

--
Someone whom you reject today, will reject you tomorrow.