New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Apr 29 10:49:09 BST 2010

Aurélien Gâteau schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I just committed support for DBusMenu in kdelibs and kdebase.
>
> - In kdelibs, DBusMenu is used by KStatusNotifierItem to export their
> menus over DBus.
> - In kdebase, DBusMenu is used by the Plasma SystemTray applet to
> render the KStatusNotifierItem menus.
>
> The advantage of this new system is that the visualisation gets more
> control over the rendering of its items, compared to the previous
> implementation which asked the application to show their menu at a
> give position.
>
> It is also nice for users of libappindicator-enabled [1] GNOME
> applications, because the SystemTray menus of these applications will
> be rendered using a native KDE menu.
>
> This means to build kdelibs and kdebase you now need to install
> dbusmenu-qt. dbusmenu-qt tarballs are available here:
>
>   http://people.canonical.com/~agateau/dbusmenu/
>
> You can also get the code from Gitorious:
>
>   http://gitorious.org/dbusmenu/
>
> I am on holidays next week, but will check my mail from time to time
> in case there is any problem with this new dependency. I committed it
> now because dependency-freeze is tomorrow.
>
> Aurélien
>
> [1]: libappindicator is a GTK+ implementation of the StatusNotifieItem
> protocol
KDE on windows builds are currently broken because of
compile/installation problem with with dbusmenu-qt.
There is pending merge request for this issues at
http://gitorious.org/dbusmenu/dbusmenu-qt/merge_requests/2 since two
days. It would be nice to get this fix into dbusmenu-qt master branch soon.

Regards
 Ralf