KDE Platform Profiles

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:18:17 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Sune Vuorela <nospam at vuorela.dk> wrote:
> On 2010-04-26, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:

> It is a very large job to figure out for all kde apps which parts of
> kdelibs&runtime (executables, kio slaves, kparts, and so on) requires.
>
> I would suggest that it is the application maintainer who specify which
> runtime components it needs. Maybe runtime components needed in 3
> 'levels'.
>
> 1) mandatory
> 2) optional, and normally installed by default
> 3) optional, and not installed by default
>
> e.g. konqueror could specify that the khtml part, the http kioslave
> and kbuildsycoca4 is in category 1, ftp kio slave in category 2 and
> help kioslave in category 3.

I think you are using the wrong example here, ioslaves are typically
small (although it would be nice to make them smaller yet) so you
would gain very little in excluding kdelibs/kdebase kioslaves.

The ftp ioslave is ~80K on my system, roughly 1/3 of the http ioslave...

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams