New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Sun Apr 25 21:45:56 BST 2010

Hi,

I just committed support for DBusMenu in kdelibs and kdebase.

- In kdelibs, DBusMenu is used by KStatusNotifierItem to export their
menus over DBus.
- In kdebase, DBusMenu is used by the Plasma SystemTray applet to render
the KStatusNotifierItem menus.

The advantage of this new system is that the visualisation gets more
control over the rendering of its items, compared to the previous
implementation which asked the application to show their menu at a give
position.

It is also nice for users of libappindicator-enabled [1] GNOME
applications, because the SystemTray menus of these applications will be
rendered using a native KDE menu.

This means to build kdelibs and kdebase you now need to install
dbusmenu-qt. dbusmenu-qt tarballs are available here:

   http://people.canonical.com/~agateau/dbusmenu/

You can also get the code from Gitorious:

   http://gitorious.org/dbusmenu/

I am on holidays next week, but will check my mail from time to time in
case there is any problem with this new dependency. I committed it now
because dependency-freeze is tomorrow.

Aurélien

[1]: libappindicator is a GTK+ implementation of the StatusNotifieItem
protocol