KDE Platform Profiles

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 20 06:56:22 BST 2010

On April 15, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2010, Markus wrote:
> > Am Montag 12 April 2010 17:23:28 schrieb Parker Coates:
> > > Why not just call the middle profile "Netbook" or maybe even "Mid
> > > range devices"?
> >
> > "Mid range" is always relative. Today's mid range is low end in a year or
> > so.
>
> maybe we can ditch the hardware it targets at all,
> so "KDElibs full" "KDElibs light" and "KDElibs mobile essentials" editions
> they sound quite catchy :p

at the end of the day they are just names. we should probably be spending more
of our discussion energy on the more important topics like how to deal with
api variance between the profiles. that those profiles have names like
"desktop", "tablet" and "mobile" is almost inconsequential. the nice thing
about the form factor related names is that it gives everyone a general idea
of the intended target hardware profile of that software profile. but we can
always change them later quite easily.

iow, i'd suggest putting a cork in this particular part of the discussion and
moving on :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se