KDE Platform Profiles

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Mon Apr 12 16:23:28 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:18, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Monday 12 April 2010 14:46:47 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I think you're missing a Netbook/Laptop profile in-between Desktop and
>> Tablet. Maybe even the two split up.
>
> As I said the "Tablet" name is not ideal, but the best one we could come up
> with so far. But really from the *platform* pov Tablet==Netbook. From *plasma*
> pov though, you might want two different shells.

This is just my two cents, but I think the term Tablet is confusing.
Tablet is a physical form factor, not really a category that can be
used to classify devices by power. Several companies make tablet
laptops with desktop comparable capabilities. We're now seeing more
netbooks in tablet format and I keep hearing about new tablet devices
that fall in between the typical netbook and phone in processing
abilities.

Why not just call the middle profile "Netbook" or maybe even "Mid
range devices"?

Parker