sprint opportunity

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 21:52:12 BST 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010, Manuel Nickschas wrote:
> On 03/30/2010 03:20 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > our friends from Nokia offered us to host and sponsor a sprint in Oslo
> > about KDE/Qt on Symbian phones.
> >
> > So if anyone is interested in organizing a sprint please contact me so
> > that we can coordinate this.
> >

> > I think this could be interesting for Plasma, Games, Edu or something
> > else.
>
> I'd be very interested in joining such a sprint. I have been planning to
> port Quassel IRC to Symbian for the longest time, as I own an S60 phone
> and many users have asked for that as well. So far the efforts have
> stalled, mostly because I don't feel motivated enough to write a
> qmake-based build system and I know that Alex is working on plugging
> Symbian support into CMake.

Well, don't expect too much too soon.
IOW, on the cmake side, I'm currently busy with integrating support for the
IAR toolchain, support for CodeLite and the find_package()-version checking
(all unrelated to Symbian), and on the KDE side my top priority is currently
getting the KDE dashboards at http://my.cdash.org running smoothly (will
announce it soon). After that, we (KDE) probably need some enhancements in
cmake/ctest/cdash to get fine-grained notification emails from cdash (see
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#CMake.2FCDash_Testing_Improvements:_Subprojects).
And then comes the Symbian support in CMake, with my current knowledge about
Symbian being close to zero.

So, it won't magically just happen before summer. Helping hands are needed,
somebody who knows how to develop for Symbian.

Alex