Cyclic dependency between kdelibs/kfile and kdelibs/kio

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Mon Apr 5 13:42:43 BST 2010

Hi,

I just wanted to improve the KPropertiesDialog
(kdelibs/kio/kfile/kpropertiesdialog.*) to use the new widget
KFileMetaDataWidget (kdelibs/kfile/kfilemetadatawidget.*) to show the meta
information of a file.

The coding part was straight forward, but now I've a cyclic dependency between
kdelibs/kfile and kdelibs/kio [1].

So there seem to be 2 options to fix this:
1. Move KFileMetaDataWidget from kdelibs/kfile to kdelibs/kio/kfile
2. Move KPropertiesDialog from kdelibs/kio/kfile to kdelibs/kfile

Any advice would be very welcome (I'm uncertain which criteria qualifies a
widget to stay in kdelibs/kfile vs. kdelibs/kio/kfile).

Thanks,
Peter

[1]
-- Configuring done
CMake Error: The inter-target dependency graph contains the following strongly
connected component (cycle):
  "kio" of type SHARED_LIBRARY
    depends on "kfile"
  "kfile" of type SHARED_LIBRARY
    depends on "kio"
At least one of these targets is not a STATIC_LIBRARY.  Cyclic dependencies
are allowed only among static libraries.