qt-copy (or kde-qt) patches cleanup

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Wed Sep 30 23:01:42 BST 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 22:58:00 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> So soon, as Tom mailed, Qt 4.6 will be mandatory, to develop in KDE trunk.

*on fire*

> We however still recommend to use a patched version of Qt, namely kde-qt
> (formely qt-copy)

It probably has been discussed to death, and I do not want to start the
discussion again, but let me just state that I never used qt-copy for KDE 4.
If Qt has bugs, they should be fixed. And when a fix is available, it should
be commited. Keeping fixes in a separate tree only delays them further.

On the other hand, I tend to move my merge request to qt-copy, but I still
have hope ;)

> * 0180-window-role
> [...]
> I do believe that Lubos has a point.  But it is also time to port
>  application to Qt4 and applications should use QWidget::windowRole,
>  really.

kdelibs/kdeui/widgets/kmainwindow.cpp has (reformatted for readability):

    q->setObjectName( s );
/* workaround for setWindowRole() crashing, and set also window role, just in
will keep insisting that object name suddenly should not be used for window
role */
    q->winId();
    q->setWindowRole( s );

So there *is* some legacy path for applications, at least for KMainWindow.
Most people probably use regexps on window titles anyway to match a window for
KWin rules. I never found the KWin matching buggy (I only have a handful
rules, though).

> So shall we keep this patch in KDE?

I would say no, because:

> Also note that this patch is intra-qt binary incompatible

> * 0288-more-x-keycodes
> The purpose of the change is to add new API that can only be used in
>  patched Qt.  Also it introduce lots of new translatable strings. So it is
>  too late for Qt 4.6

Too bad, as the MR is quite old. And looking at kdelibs bugs, the highest
voted bugs deal with shortcuts and modifiers, extra mouse buttons, and extra
keys...

Some lowlevel platform specific input layer would be fine, allowing to record,
display, store/load, compare, and replay input events. Might come in handy
when people start to create their own gestures as shortcuts ;)

> About translations of Qt, this is another point that is not clear to me. Do
> KDE has its own translations of Qt?  Why the translations doesn't go
> upstreams?

There is bug 152947 on bko that QStyle names are not translated :)

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)