Blogilo Moved into kdereview

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Sep 27 21:55:57 BST 2009

Hi Mehrdad,

On Friday 25 September 2009 09:38:52 Mehrdad Momeny wrote:
> But it works here as well as Bilbo from git!
> Blogilo uses KBlog directly! So you have to update your KBlog from trunk to
>  test it! I have backport may latest changes on fixes into KBlog recently!

Ok, I've updated from SVN (kdepimlibs and kdepim/blogilo). Turns out I've put the
wrong username. PEBKAC :o

> > - fetching the existing blog posts from the server doesn't work here,
> > only posts  added from blogilo show up

Blogilo still doesn't retrieve the existing posts (from wordpress, is that actually
supported?).

> > - the medialist only shows media used in this blog entry. It would be
> >  useful to have  media already uploaded there as well
>
> That was a way to edit media files properties due we didn't find any way to
>  access them from editor!

Ah ok. Maybe this would be a nice way to extend that functionality. Uploading media
and integrating them into blogs is something that's becoming increasingly common, we
see videoblogs and podcasts as well. It would be cool if we could support these use
cases really well.

Did you hear about Project Silk, by the way? It has many ideas in common with
Blogilo. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Silk has pointers.

> > - The posts are sometimes stripped off of line breaks, this makes it
> > harder to edit  the post in the HTML Editor.
>
> Yes, This happens when use were use Wordpress editor to post, Because wp
>  editor uses line break instead of html "br" and "p" tags!
> I have added an option for this on advanced page of configs to tell blogilo
>  to change \n to br And maybe we have to use another way for this!

I've actually disabled that in wordpress (changing \n into <br />). It still happens
though that line breaks are stripped out of my post, which isn't useful if you often
hand-write HTML.

> > - the mechanism of uploading images from file:///... locations works
> > really well. It  would be nice to be able to add images using drag&drop.
> > Dropping an image to the medialist should upload it and copy the URL
> > depending on the setting; dropping an image into the post adds it there.
>
> This would be a good feature for later :)

Sure :)

> > - being able to moderate comments would be nice. This would probably
> >  require some  additional work, but maybe you already have plans for
> > this?
>
> We have plan for this!

Nice, looking forward to that.

> > - the display of entries could be beefed up, maybe using views of the
> >  posts? Rich has  written a small class that creates thumbnails from
> >  webpages.
> >
> > - the toolbar seems to be static. It would be useful to be able to
> >  configure the  actions in there using the standard KDE mechanism. (I
> > tried to add an "upload media" button there, but couldn't.)
>
> Oh, help on this problem, I didn't find any doc about having such a toolbar
>  on techbase :(

You can use KXmlGuiWindow as your main window class, it brings such functionality.
kapptemplate (a small app that generate template for applications) can generate an
example for you, it's actually quite easy to understand. Choose the "KDE 4 GUI
Application" option from the kapptemplate's Template Generator.

> > - you can get rid of the modal dialog when submitting the post by making
> >  the UI  smarter. It basically offers three actions (update existing
> > post, post new, save draft). Offering these actions individually from the
> > UI would be nicer IMO.
>
> We were try to do this before, but there was some problems that we have to
>  check again!

Okay :) Thanks for a really nice application!
--
sebas