inclusion of MathematiK into kde-edu

Alexander Rieder alexanderrieder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 00:14:32 BST 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 12:53:46 John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/9/22 Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net>:
> > On Monday 21 September 2009 22:19:45 Alexander Rieder wrote:
> >> For the last months I've been coding an application in Playground called
> >> MathematiK. It's a frontend for other free software mathematics projects
> >> (e.g. Computer Algebra Systems like Maxima), giving them a nice
> >> KDE-based Worksheet view like Maple or Mathematica offer.
> >
> > This sounds great, but I think I would prefer something with such a broad
> > scope to be an extragear package (with a flexible release schedule).
>
> Or better yet, make it part of koffice.  A math document should be
> just like a word document, spreadsheet etc.

While I do think, that a Math-Shape could be pretty useful to turn KWord into
something like TeXmacs(and probably would not even be too difficult to create,
as the backend logic is completely independent of the user interface), the
main workflow of using such an app is quite different. Most of the time the
result won't be a "document", but just some calculations.

Alexander