Review Request: Make KFilterProxySearchLine look more like KDEs searchlines

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Fri Sep 18 14:14:20 BST 2009

At Friday 18 September 2009 13:23, you wrote:
> On Friday 18 September 2009 12:46:37 you wrote:

> > > If a dialog pops up when pressing it then keep the "...".
> > >
> > > If not remove it. That's the meaning if i'm not completely wrong.
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > That's for a menu item, this is a line edit.
> >
> > Please drop it, this is wasting time for everyone.
> >
> > Toma
> >

> From http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Ellipsis
>
> An ellipsis is used after menu items and button labels which the user is
> either required or is able to provide input.

I can't see how 'menu items and button labels' include line-edits. The ellipsis is used to give a visual indication that when the user clicks on it, a dialog will appear for more information. That simply does not apply to a quick search bar, it is obvious for the user that he can put the query in there.

Either way, with or without ellipsis, I don't care. There is more important stuff to do, and I don't see a need to put it in the HIG. If that's the level of detail we need in there, there is a lot to do.

> And if you think talking about HIG and usability and consistency is just
> wasting time, then i think that explains a lot.

Ok. That clearly needs further explanation from your side. You seem to indicate with this statement that I dont care about the HIG in my applications, and I would like to know exactly what you mean. I'm a bit disappointed about this remark from you.

Best,

Toma