kWarning() broken!

Carlo brandon.ml at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:56:34 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Carlo <brandon.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 18.09.09 02:40:40, Milian Wolff wrote:
>>> Hey people!
>>>
>>> Something makes kWarning() output _nothing_ at all.
>>>
>>> I just spent 2h debugging a problem in the PHP plugin to finally find it and saw
>>> that I _should_ have seen it directly: there should have been a kWarning()
>>> message emitted.
>>>
>>> I deleted my kdebugrc, enabled _all_ areas in kdebugdialog, no change. Also
>>> note: kDebug() works just fine!
>>>
>>> I tried around, didn't work in any kdevelop plugin. Also added it to a
>>> KTextEditor plugin, which showed the same behaviour...
>>>
>>> Can someone reproduce this issue or is it something local on my machine?
>>> Oh and note: In a simple hello-world-like app kWarning worked just fine!
>>>
>>> Do you have an idea what might be the issue?
>>>
>>> I find this very critical as kWarnings should _always_ be shown! Right now it's
>>> really the worst-case scenario...
>>
>> Are you running trunk? I won't have access to a 4.3 system until next
>> week, but it could be that this is a regression introduced by dfaure's
>> automatic-assigning-of-debug-areas.
>>
>> I could just reproduce this with kcalc, using kWarning() didn't produce
>> anything. It seems kcalc gets assigned an automatic id here though. Even
>> if I explcitly put in a static debug area and enable that it doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> I'm moving this to kde-core-devel (please remove kwrite-devel when
>> replying) as thats where this belongs. I've seen this also in QTest
>> unit-tests, kDebug() was printed, but kWarnings() are not.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> --
>> You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.
>>

> I'm having this problem on windows from some time now, but I thought
> it was a windows issue
> I've just tested it on 4.3.1 on linux with a simple kapplication and
> kwarning doesn't work, if I remove the kapplication it works

the problem is QT_NO_DEBUG, in non debug builds DefaultOutput is
defined as NoOutput, so since there is no WarnOutput in kdebugrc it
will default to NoOutput, what I don't understand is why it works with
kdebug and it can read InfoOutput since I don't have any debug area 0
in kdebugrc
the function where it reads these values is areaOutputMode in kdebug.cpp