KNotificationItem specification - first draft

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Sep 18 01:34:39 BST 2009

On Thursday 17 September 2009 19:32:57 Alex Merry wrote:
> On Thursday 17 September 2009 23:21:35 you wrote:
> > Have you seen my feedback on the KDE implementation that I posted on
> >  Tuesday? There was a question as to whether it would be possible to
> > query for the position of the system tray icon for applications that want
> > to create popups near the system tray.  Normally the (x,y) is provided to
> > the application when a signal where it is needed is emitted (i.e.
> > activate or contextMenu) but it may be useful for the application to know
> > this (or an approximation) before a signal is ever generated by the user.
> >  For instance, in the event of a complex tooltip (the spec's Markup
> > section notes that complex tooltips may need to be application-generated)
>
> The problem is: what if it appears in several places at once?  That's
> certainly possible in Plasma - you could have a copy of the system tray on
>  an autohiding panel, and also on the desktop.

Well if the host simply sends a notification when the icon is positioned, then
the last host to send the placement notification wins.  (And why would we let
two different system trays^W^W notification areas around at the same time?)
I can't see a good way in this model to allow the application to query for the
position if there are multiple hosts.

This may only be my problem (I think Amarok allows you to place the OSD
wherever, for instance) in which case I'll just use the NetWM (IIRC) classes
to always just pop it up in a corner.  I do think it would be nice to have
however.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne