Request to change signature of a KUrl method

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Sep 14 20:40:03 BST 2009

On 14.09.09 18:47:17, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2009-09-14, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++
> >
> > That page doesn't say _anything_ about changing the return type of
> > functions. And from a pure name-mangling-perspective it won't make a
> > difference on GCC as it doesn't include the return type in the mangled
> > name. (as far as I understood Thiago's blog some time ago).
>
> It does not change the mangled symbol name, but it might very well
> trigger weird crashes to change the return type.
>
> old prototype:
> QWidget* foo();
>

> Code:
> QWidget *w = foo();
> w->show();
>
> New function:
> void foo();
>
> How should old code be running ?

This is a change the other way around, so this doesn't apply. No
existing code can do anything with the return value of the current
cleanPath() function. Only new code could use the newly added useful
return type.

Anyway, discussion is void as either way the change would be BiC.

Andreas

--
You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.