Request to change signature of a KUrl method

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Sep 14 20:07:39 BST 2009

Em Segunda-feira 14. Setembro 2009, às 20.49.39, Lubos Lunak escreveu:
> > And from a pure name-mangling-perspective it won't make a
> > difference on GCC as it doesn't include the return type in the mangled
> > name. (as far as I understood Thiago's blog some time ago).
>
>  The point is not to break mangling. The point is not to break binary
> compatibility.

Right.

In *this* case, with GCC, BC wouldn't break. It would break with Sun CC and
with MSVC.

But changing the return type sometimes breaks BC in GCC too. Think of when the
return type is passed as a hidden, implicit first parameter.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009