Choosing the qt tree to file merge requests

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 14 20:04:20 BST 2009

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Once again: I did not push a branch. I don't think it's time to start making
> 4.6 changes to kde-qt.git. I recommend people track the *unmodified* qt.git
> branches 4.6 or 4.6-stable.

This seems unnecessarily complicated. With qt-copy, it was simple, you
tracked trunk, and you got the latest recommended thing to play with.
With how kde-qt is currently set up, apparently we got Qt 4.5.2, maybe
some patches... and I haven't seen anything change in months.

Can we please fix it so that the git clone pulls a branch with a
sufficiently generic name that we can push 4.6-tp1 to that branch like
how we would push previews to qt-copy, so people that 'just want the
latest recommendation' (i.e. me :-) ) only need to worry about 'git
fetch --rebase' and not have to switch tags/branches/whatever every time
we change what we recommend tracking?

(Bonus points for arranging that the local branch you get after cloning
is named "master".)

--
Matthew
"Microsoft doesn't really care about users." -- Robert Cringely