sidebar history in konqueror

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Mon Sep 14 19:38:21 BST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 13:05:45 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 29 August 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as I could not find anything in the ML archives, can someone please shed
> >  some light onto the current situation and plans regarding the konqueror
> >  history functionality ?
> >
> > - Why was the sidebar history removed (or being declared no longer
> > wanted) ?
> >
> > - What is the status and plan with the new history window ?
>
> This is a topic for kfm-devel rather than kde-core-devel, but anyway.
>
> Isn't it obvious to everyone that a 50-pixels-wide sidebar is not the best
> place for showing history (which typically includes long URLs and long page
> titles)?

What immediately jumped to my head was the idea of having the history simply
as a new tab inside konqueror. So it's not squeezed into the sidebar and also
not "lost" in some random new window.
Funny is, I checked how opera does it, and see - they do it as a new tab.

> Compare the kde3 history sidebar with the firefox (or the new konqueror)
> dialog; isn't it much nicer to actually have room for a GUI rather than
>  trying to squeeze it into a narrow sidebar?

I don't think another toplevel window is the right solution.
In the light of this idea, you would have to put any information in a new
window, e.g. the bookmarks, most often visited, recently visited, ...

> Since you don't see happy about the situation, I have to ask you, what _is_
> the problem with the new history dialog. Just that people can't find it?

Well, personally I have no strong feelings about the history functionality as
I rarely use it.

But I have a personal feeling about software quality. And since I switched
from KDE3 to KDE4 I've seen a lot things which simply got worse - the
situation with the history functionality being one.

What I really do not understand is to deliver a product (and I see a released
version of KDE as the delivery of a product) with a no longer working
functionality (but still visible), which was replaced with something which
actually isn't finished and is not working yet.

And it seems there are people unhappy with the new history window. Just read
the comments in the bug reports.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.bibibest.at