new kde-examples module

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 18:01:53 BST 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009, Parker Coates wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 08:30, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On September 2, 2009, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> >> * How to ensure that the examples do not bitrot?
> >
> > they already do bitrot. so this would not be a new problem. i do have a
> > hunch, though, that if more people were actually using the examples we'd
> > hear about breakage sooner.
>
> Could kde-examples not be added to Dirk's dashboard? That's not a
> perfect system for preventing compile breakage, but it will at least
> notify the folks on IRC when things do break.
>
> Presumably, we'd want each example to be stand-alone and compilable
> without the the rest of the module, so each would need to have a "top
> level" CMakeLists.txt file.

Yes, they should have.

> But would it not be possible to add a
> module level CMakeLists.txt that add_subdir()s all the individual
> exampls, enabling on to build the whole thing in a single go?

Would be possible, but maybe it's better if there is no such file, because
then people will build it in different ways, i.e. more chances for breakages.
Maybe instead we should have a CMakeLists.txt:
message(FATAL_ERROR "Don't try to run cmake from the toplevel, but instead
build all examples separately")
instead there to make it explicit that the example must work stand-alone.
(should we also do that for playground ?)

Alex