KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Oct 30 21:23:27 GMT 2009

On Friday, 2009-10-30, Michael Pyne wrote:

> I think a saner alternative to integrating GVFS into KIO would be to
>  support the IO-transfer API in use (assuming they use an out-of-process
>  model

Yes, they do. GVFS mount daemon are separate processes, shared between
applications accessing the same protocol.

> Really making something like FUSE that "backend API" would probably be best
> long-term, except that it wouldn't work under Windows or OS X (and possibly
> BSD?)

The other way around, which is what GVFS is doing, sounds to be a better
approach.
Applications directly dealing with GVFS can reap the full benefit of the
architecture, applications still living in POSIX world can use the same data
through the FUSE mounts of GVFS.

The only thing missing is currently a Qt technology stack based client library
for GVFS, just like there is not GObject technology based on for KIO slaves.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring