KNotificationItem class name is confusing

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 15:00:13 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the risk of starting yet another lengthy discussion, I would like to
> bring this to the list. As you probably know, kdelibs 4.4 will ship with
> KNotificationItem, a class wrapping the brand new dbus-based
> implementation of the systemtray protocol, saving us from the wrath of
> X-Embed.
> This new protocol is really an improvement over the existing one, but I
> believe the class name is wrong as people think KNotificationItem is
> about notifications. This is worsened by the fact that kdelibs also
> features a KNotification class, which manages notifications. Many times
> I had to explain people this new protocol and classes are not about
> notifications.
To recap:
today, with the help of  Aurélien we migrated all trunk to the following
names:

class: KStatusNotifierItem
dbus objects:
org.kde.StatusNotifierItem
org.kde.StatusNotifierHost
org.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher

all of it should still build (some stuff in playground and etragear network a
bit more problematic, since apparently they want to still support the version
in /experimental)

if you encounder something that still melts just let me know :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin