KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Oct 29 12:14:46 GMT 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-10-28, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 October 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On October 28, 2009, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > Hmm, I don't really understand this email.
> >
> > the bits of context which are missing, and make it very hard to
> > understand nf's email, are:
> >
> > * nf2 would like to have KIO use GIO; this is part of a general idea to
> > make as much of KDE's "behind the scenes" infrastructure use things
> > implemented in C on top of glib. the idea communicated to me on irc is
> > that "glib and C is _the_ platform here, so we should use it instead of
> > anything we make on our own".

While Norbert and I disagree on the integration point in service oriented
infrastructure, I think he didn't intend to convey that anything written in
C/GLib is automatically the platform, instead that anything which wants to be
part of the platform should be written in C/GLib.

We obviously disagree on that as well, especially if the item in question is
just one side of a service/client system.

> > * for various reasons, the approaches taken by nf2's code have been
> > turned down by maintainers (such as Kevin Ottens as seen on
> > http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1951/ ... Kevin's reply there is pretty
> > "short" because it's a discussion he and nf2 have already had in the past
> > and i can empathize with Kevin's lack of desire to be forced into having
> > that same conversation repeatedly)
>
> I didn't actually look at the patch in detail, but from the comments I had
>  the impression that the purpose of the patch is to make the KDE places
>  more flexible by adding pluggable backends ?
> Doesn't sound that bad to me.

I agree. Is the problem that this is a too high level place to support a
different data source or the way the change is implemented?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring