KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:37:23 GMT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 October 2009, nf2 wrote:
>> I'm writing this, because my patch to allow plugging a different model
>> into KFilePlaces got rejected, and i'm trying to understand why.
>>
>> As a reminder: This screenshot should explain what i'm trying to
>> achieve: http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1951/s/238/
>>
>> I thought that i was solving a problem, but obviously a lot of people
>> don't see that as a problem. I thought that moving towards a coherent
>> file-management experience should be something that everybody wants.
>> But - and i must say i'm quite astonished - it's not regarded as
>> important at all.
>>

>> This misunderstanding must have something to do with 180 degree
>> different views on two issues:
>>
>> 1) What defines an "OS platform"?
>>
>> 2) The importance of the application base for the success of such a
>> platform.
>

> Hmm, I don't really understand this email.
>
> From looking at the reviewboard link, the patch is about optionally using the
> places/bookmarks from gnome/gtk in KDE ?

I wanted to demonstrate that a coherent file-management experience
would be fairly easy to achieve. Basically its just requires aligning
the places model and sharing the VFS implementation. This is what the
screenshot shows: An alternate KFilePlacesModel implementation in
combination with the Kio-Giobridge. And this is not a mockup.

The Kio-Giobridge can be enabled by installing different *.protocol
files. But for the places-panel i need the permission for adding a
plugin-interface behind KFileplacesModel.

> Is there a freedesktop spec how these should be stored/accessed ?

For bookmarks, yes. But it hasn't been implemented by Gnome yet (there
is a bug). Therefore the model you can see is using the
~/.gtk-bookmarks as a workaround.

Norbert