Advice on Qt User interface

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Wed Oct 28 03:20:08 GMT 2009

On 10/27/2009 09:11 PM, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 16:39:18 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Newbie question. What's the policy on designing user interfaces (Qt
>> based) in KDE:
>> use UI files rather than brute force c++, or indiferent ?
>> I personally hate Qt designer (for my own reasons) and have been used to
>> design my UI in brute force c++.
>> Are there some known disadvantages with this approach ? Or historical
>> reasons against it ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Hugo
>>

> There were several places that used handwritten layouts in C++ that were
> ported to use designer instead, so it seems that the preferred way is to use
> designer (and UI files).
yeah. This actually triggered my question.
so in fact I sticked to UI. It turns out that it was not so painful once
I figured out how to align stuff on a layout (which is a bit
counterintuitive with respect to how the coding part works).
that's the new oxygen-style configuration dialog (tabbed instead of
groupboxed).

Maybe some time I'll switch back the oxygen-windeco configuration box to
an UI too.