kdewebkit moved to kdereview

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Mon Oct 26 02:34:57 GMT 2009

On Sunday 25 October 2009 20:32:53 Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Urs Wolfer wrote:
> >>
> >> Could you briefly explain what features this brings? That might
> >> make it
> >> easier for people to understand why it's needed ...
> >
> > Sure. The main point is for sure the integration of KIO. Without
> > kdewebkit,
> > any app which is using QWeb* classes does network interactions
> > without KDE
> > technologies. Other points are for example:
> > * using KDE icons in context menu
>
> In 4.6 QtWebKit should be using the QIcon::fromTheme to get the KDE
> icons in the context menu and if it doesn't then we should file a
> patch to QtWebKit.
>
> > * using KDE plugins (for example nsplugins flash)
>
> Can you clarify this?  Starting in Qt 4.5 QtWebKit supported nsplugins
> and kde apps can already use them...

Urs was not completely right on that one. We defer flash content handling to
QtWebKit because KDE's nspluginviewer does not work when embeded into
QWebView. At least it did not for us. However, for any other embeded resource
using things like the <embed> tag, we want to use KDE specific
applications/kpart components. Hence we have our own implementation of
QWebPluginFactory in the kdewebkit module that specifically does that...

> > * KDE dialogs for javascript dialogs (alert, file picker, ..)
>
> The KDE File dialog should already be used starting with I believe KDE
> 4.3 when the static QFileDialog pointers were overloaded so anytime
> you call the static QFileDialog functions it will use the KDE File
> Dialog.  As for the alert dialog while it does use QMessageBox,
> QMessageBox should be using the KDE icon from the style which is the
> only thing I could see the KMessageBox adding.
>
> So what goes kdewebkit bring us that we don't either already have or
> will be getting with Qt4.6?

See my response/example few threads back. But basically two out of the three
public classes, KWebView and KWebPage, in kdewebkit are nothing more than
simple convenience wrappers that provide complete KDE integration out of the
box. That is you get the critical KIO, KCookieJar integration by doing nothing
more than "KWebView *view = new KWebView (parent);".