KIO: How best to add custom icons to items from a kioslave?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Oct 24 16:21:03 BST 2009

Hi,

(seems like there are no KIO experienced people on kde-devel, so resent here)

I am currently working on adding a UPnP-backend to the network:/ kioslave,
based on Coherence [B]. So you can also browse (and connect to, if there are
handlers for the services offered) UPnP-enabled devices using KIO.

[B] http://frinring.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/coherencekde-sprint-day-1/

Now these devices can have custom icons (cmp. favicons). And it would be great
to have them show up in Konqueror as symbol for the device, wouldn't it. What
is the best approach?

I haven't seen a way to set custom icons (as in pixmap, not string ids) to
UDSEntries. As the kioslave might not know which icon size to use, this seems
only fair.

Is there some additional interface to kioslaves which is used to get custom
icons?
Or is a proper "file" preview plugin the solution to this (best template code
where to be found)?
Is there any kioslave which already solved this problem?

Bart Cerneels currently works on a kioslave for UPnP MediaCollections, where
he has similar needs for showing the album icons for some directories, so you
would help two at a time :)

Thanks
Friedrich
--