Nepomuk as hard dependency in future?

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:50:31 BST 2009

В сообщении от Вторник 20 октября 2009 14:28:55 автор Michael Jansen написал:
> > Making Nepomuk integration optional is quite difficult once you start to
> > depend on it for essential features of your application though. And at
> >  least for KDE PIM, I expect that to happen. In fact, distibution list
> >  resolution already depends on it in some cases.

> > > This is much easier than trying to integrate with native search.
>
> But having to indexing daemon? People already compain about having one of
>  them eating up their resources.

It doesn't really matter how the functionality is implemented. You either drag
the code and functionality along or not. The names and quantity of processes
your app spawns in order to run is not really user's concern.

> Perhaps we could get a two fold strategy. Bring in nepomuk for all the
> semantic features that do not require (strigi?) the indexing demon like
> tagging, rating etc.

It's not the daemon that's the issue. It consumes much less resources than the
rdf backend which is essential for Nepomuk.

> And than have a look if we could just hide the indexing part under a layer.

Not sure what you mean.

> Or am i wrong and nepomuk does not include the indexing part by default?

The daemon is modular already.

-- Evgeny