Nepomuk as hard dependency in future?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 20 00:49:51 BST 2009

On October 19, 2009, Michael Jansen wrote:
> iiuc. And i would not like to get nepomuk in gnome just by starting some
>  kde app. I would prefer to use whatever gnome provides that is equivalent.

... which is?

(btw: http://trueg.wordpress.com/tag/gcds/ )

(a better example would've been windows or mac, btw, who both offer search
frameworks of their own and have no realistic probability of ever working with
us on this in the near future)

if we're ok with no search or context features working outside of the KDE
Workspace, hey, then great. "it works better in the KDE workspace" can become
the new mantra, but i don't think that's great for KDE applications. search
and context is increasingly not an optional feature. that means we either give
something to apps to use everywhere, or apps will implement their own mojo and
ignore what's in our frameworks.

maybe we could provide a wrapper lib like solid or phonon that would provide
search/context support in a "neutral" fashion. but i don't see anyone stepping
up to do that right now, nor am i sure it's even realistically achievable with
good results ... search systems don't seem to be easily abstractable without
rendering them into dumb stores ...

so ensuring nepomuk is available is probably pretty important, imho.

perhaps outside the KDE Workspace it would be "opt in", in that the user would
have to start it up. it could auto-start in the KDE Workspace.

but it should be available everywhere our apps travel.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se