RFC: what compatibility guarantees do we give for modules != kdelibs ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 19 20:09:39 BST 2009

On Monday 19 October 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 19.10.09 19:35:58, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Monday 19 October 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > And instead you copy those modules across all places that want to find
> > > the respective headers/libraries? I don't see how thats going to help
> > > with maintaining them.
> >
> > Packages don't get broken behind their back.
>
> Right, but if FindFoo.cmake is used by 3 different modules and 6
> outside-of-kde apps and it adds a new library or header or changes a
> name in one of them you have to fix at least 3 places (or whoever does
> that change) where now there's only one place to fix.

That's true of course.
In that case, if a module is really used by multiple packages, how about
moving it to kdelibs/cmake/modules/ ?

The other case, if it's a KDE-module itself, e.g. kdevplatform, it's of course
ok if it installs a cmake file which contains the information about itself.
The question here where the file which finds this installed file goes
(kdelibs is a good candidate).

Now for instance in kdebase/workspace/ there is a FindCkConnector.cmake. I
didn't check, but I doubt that many packages outside kdebase/workspace/ use
it.

I think a number of cmake modules is installed because we have them and we can
install them. But installing them comes with a cost and they should only be
installed if it is really necessary.

Alex