RFC: what compatibility guarantees do we give for modules != kdelibs ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 19 19:10:04 BST 2009

Em Segunda-feira 19. Outubro 2009, às 19.35.58, Alexander Neundorf escreveu:
> On Monday 19 October 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 19.10.09 19:22:32, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > there are more modules than kdelibs which install libraries and headers
> > > (and cmake files) which can be used by other packages.
> > > For kdelibs we guarantee binary compatiblity.
> > > Does this apply to all public libraries and headers inside trunk/KDE/ ?
> >
> > No. Every module gets to pick the policy they want to follow.
>
> What do we have e.g. for kdebase ?
> I think kdegames does not care about compatiblity.
> I guess kdepimlibs is more or less like kdelibs ?

Those modules don't need to maintain binary compatibility for the duration of
KDE 4.

But if they install public libraries (i.e., if the headers are installed via
make install), then those libraries must obey the usual library versioning
rules.

If they maintain compatibility, they get to keep the same library version. If
they break it, they change the library version.

If you're paying close attention, you'll notice that this is the basis of the
experimental library procedure as well.

Now, if no public headers are installed, then it's a private library and can
do as it wants. But drop the packagers a note saying that the module needs to
be upgraded as a whole then, for all applications using that library. It's
better to follow the rules above, because it's enough to notify packagers.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009