Version mismatch when building trunk

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Oct 18 00:02:47 BST 2009

Em Domingo 18. Outubro 2009, às 00.27.23, Chani escreveu:
> > The branch switching is necessary in the workflow I created because I'm
> > treating kde-qt branches as patch queues. Each time I create a new
> > branch, I reapply all the previous patches from KDE, while local changes,
> > like backports from Qt itself, are lost. We start anew.
> >
> > And this "starting anew" is something that the tool was not designed for.
> > That's why it's slightly cumbersome for you.
> >
> > Like I said, we can change the workflow and just have one recommended
> >  "master" branch. But since there will be no periodic cleanup done on it,
> > I will not maintain it and will ignore it when it comes to bug reports.
>
> ohhhh. so the difference between the 4.5 and the 4.6 branches in kde-qt
>  isn't fast-forward?

No. Because of KDE patches.

> now this makes a bit more sense - I couldn't understand why you didn't just
> create a branch and make everyone happy. :)
>
> would it be an option to have a "recommended" branch that gets hard-reset
> somehow to the latest branch, and tell people using that branch to pull -f?
>  or would it cause trouble for other people using the repository?

If you ever rewrite history in a branch people are using, you have to tell
each and everyone of them to be extremely careful. They must not pull or pull
--rebase. They have to reset, manually, then cherry-pick any commits they had
before.

Which is why rewriting history is not part of any normal workflow.

> it sounds like what we really want is some kind of movable tag... but git
>  tags can't move...

Tags never move. Branches move.

We really want a branch. It's just that, like I said above, the workflow
doesn't include resetting. And that's what's needed if history rewrites are
expected.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009