Version mismatch when building trunk

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Oct 17 17:03:31 BST 2009

On Saturday, 2009-10-17, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Sábado 17. Outubro 2009, às 13.44.39, Kevin Krammer escreveu:

> > > Please don't.
> >
> > Relax, I won't do that every time :)
> > Just when the requirement of KDE makes the current checkout useless due
> > to this weird limitation.
> >
> > > A clone is a 170 MB transfer. A fetch is usually just a few kilobytes
> > > -- at most 5 MB when I push a new release.
> >
> > Yeah, I noticed.
> > But 170MB every several months is acceptable, even if it takes quite a
> >  while.
>
> Right. You'll do a 170 MB transfer when a 0 MB transfer is enough.
>
> How is that acceptable?

I didn't claim that it is perfect, but it beats rebuilding Qt and kdesupport
twice because updating Qt did not actually update it.

As I said I do a clean build (including prior removal of build and install
dirs) whenever updating Qt so the time needed for getting these 170MB don't
add that much overhead.

Developers who do not do that might be faster searching list archives and/or
blogs for finding the branch of the day to switch to.

We all know that the ideal solution (i.e. neither download nor build overhead)
would be to use the devel packages of our distributions.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring