Version mismatch when building trunk

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Oct 16 23:53:41 BST 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009 16:39:34 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Sexta-feira 16. Outubro 2009, às 20.14.51, Pau Garcia i Quiles escreveu:
> > * Now:
> >     master -> 4.6-stable-patched
> >     4.6-rc1
> >     4.5.2
> >
> > * When 4.7 is released:
> >    master ->4.7-stable-patched
> >    4.6-stable-patched
> >
> > etc
> >

> > (I've used 4.7 instead of 4.6 RC1, 4.6 beta 1, etc so that it's easier
> > to understand what I mean: "master" should always be the latest Qt
> > used to develop KDE, at least in kde-qt.git)
>
> If that's what people want, we can do it.
>
> But the delta to Qt will be always larger than 0 -- because it's already
> larger than 0. The number cannot decrease.

It seems to me that if we had a branch 'latest-stable' that contains nothing
but merges of the appropriate development branch for the latest stable Qt
release, that we wouldn't lose history (since the history we care about is in
the development branches and not latest-stable) while still being able to
track the latest stable Qt without having to switch branches later.
(Obviously the tradeoff is that latest-stable wouldn't /really/ be the latest
until changes are merged in, but I think that could be done more-or-less
automagically every day and would hopefully be "good enough")

It sounds like it's a popular request so if that's easy to do you'd probably
get a lot of fans. ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne