KDE and Polkit, take 2

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Oct 16 10:56:48 BST 2009

On Thursday 15 of October 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
> On Thursday 15 October 2009 18:39:20 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > would it make sense to keep both backends and the UI integration code for
> >  both together in kdelibs/kdebase and just conditionally build one or the
> >  other depending on whether 0.9 or 1.0 are on the system?
>
> Sure it could be possible (the backends [which are in kdelibs, btw] will
> both remain there till the end of days in any case)
>
> >  that would make
> >  it a lot easier, i would imagine, for both those who are working on
> >  systems with 0.9 and those with 1.0 as it would eliminate the need to
> > run around finding bits of code in extragear or wherever?
>
> Sure, but I suppose that by the time 4.5 will be out, there will be no more
> programs around making use of polkit-0.9 (except some unmaintained ones),

 We (openSUSE) build KDE for all mantained openSUSE releases, i.e. about two
years back. And I assume there are also users who build their own KDE on
older distributions, whatever they are.

> and distributions packaging KDE will not want to pull on users a dependency
> on the deprecated polkit-0.9 on kdebase-workspace.

 I don't know what the plan is exactly, but if the backends are
different .so's, then it's just about splitting the source package into
several binary packages, which can have different dependencies. And even if
it would be decided only at compile time, it would be still more convenient
to build from one source, if it's not too much work to set it up that way.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz