KDE and Polkit, take 2

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:03:11 BST 2009

On Thursday 15 October 2009 18:39:20 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On October 15, 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
> > By the time KDE 4.5 will be out we will be moving polkit-qt-0.9 out of
> > kdesupport, somewhere like gitorious, pull the polkit-1 support package
> >  into workspace and place in extragear or somewhere the current
> >  PolicyKit-kde directory. We will switch preferences in KAuth backends,
> > so that we can deprecate completely polkit-0.9, but still provide some
> > people the possibility of running it.
>
> would it make sense to keep both backends and the UI integration code for
>  both together in kdelibs/kdebase and just conditionally build one or the
>  other depending on whether 0.9 or 1.0 are on the system?

Sure it could be possible (the backends [which are in kdelibs, btw] will both
remain there till the end of days in any case)

>  that would make
>  it a lot easier, i would imagine, for both those who are working on
>  systems with 0.9 and those with 1.0 as it would eliminate the need to run
>  around finding bits of code in extragear or wherever?

Sure, but I suppose that by the time 4.5 will be out, there will be no more
programs around making use of polkit-0.9 (except some unmaintained ones), and
distributions packaging KDE will not want to pull on users a dependency on the
deprecated polkit-0.9 on kdebase-workspace.

That is why I thought it could make more sense providing it as a separate
package. I would be fine either way though: keeping both of them in workspace
is a possible option, even if I still think that polkit-kde-0.9 would be
better off outside workspace.

> > P.S.: If anyone was wondering how to make kde programs using KAuth using
> > polkit-1 when the backend will come, just clean your build, uninstall
> > your KDE
>
> it should only be necessary to replace libkdecore, no? the rest should
>  remain just fine? or are there files elsewhere that need updating (e.g.
>  policy files)?

Exactly :) The uninstallation would be cool to avoid leaving some leftovers
around the system, but one could simply rebuild kdelibs and all the stuff
using KAuth and be fine

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer