RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 02:40:34 BST 2009

On October 3, 2009, Darío Andrés wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> >> Agreed. (I never liked "Plasma Containments", but it was the first
> >> name that come to my mind to describe it, sorry about that)
> >
> > what settings does this panel contain?
>
> That KCM would be: http://www.notmart.org/images/netbooksettings.png ?

ah! ok, that's actually not related to activites .. hmm. if it gets put into
the top level we'll have to come up with a better name for it. really it's the
workspace form factor settings (and yes, in that screenshot the word "plasma"
appears, it shouldn't and won't :)

> > these kinds of tests are actually pretty easy to do compared to other
> > kinds of usability research. we could each go out and test 3-5 people and
> > have a great sampling. Celeste could help set up some of the parameters.
> > i think card sorting would be perfect here.
>
> OK, agreed on doing some user testing to resolve this.... (or should
> we just implement the "improved searching" function and forget all the
> mess about reordering SS ?)

improved searching would be great as a priority; a reorg could help (the
general / advanced split is not good right now) but it should be done with
testing. which makes it more difficult and with more effort put into it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se