RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Martin Gräßlin ubuntu at martin-graesslin.com
Sat Oct 3 15:41:43 BST 2009

Am Samstag 03 Oktober 2009 15:37:45 schrieb Darío Andrés:
> As Ben said, the word "Workspace" is a bit "generic"; however I don't
> really know which one to use.
> May be some complete name like "KDE Desktop and Workspace" would make
> sense, however that would include both "look" and "behavior" (and we
> are again in that problem).
I don't think the name is a problem and it shouldn't be a problem. IIRC
correctly there were some efforts to find an own "brand" for the workspace. So
needing a name for the category might become a catalyzer to finaly finding a
name, such as "GNOME Shell" - just better. Personally I wouldn't object to the
name "Plasma" as the name for Workspace any more as I think that is how it is
seen by the users: window management is just a part of Plasma.

> Besides that, this "Workspace" item will have too much subitems in its
> "sidebar"; and we are trying to avoid that to reduce scrolling. Too
> bad some settings belong to both worlds... and can't be "splitted"
> properly.
I think we can find a good solution which will suite all the needs. If we
change, we should change it correctly ;-)