qt-copy (or kde-qt) patches cleanup

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Oct 1 00:03:37 BST 2009

A Dijous, 1 d'octubre de 2009, Oswald Buddenhagen va escriure:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 12:13:51AM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > No, it's not a hack, it is giving more context where it is needed, are
> > you sure a translator is going to know how the heck to translate "+"? or
> > "Shift"?
>
> i don't doubt the need for more context, but it should be added the way
> we (well, i) envisioned it.

And yet you didn't add it ;-)

> > > this point is nowadays kinda ... pointless. :D
> >
> > Again you show how much you fail to understand translators, our
> > translators *KNOW* how to work with .po files and have no idea how to
> > work with .ts files.
>
> hmmm.
>
> ~/qt/tranlations > lconvert qt_es.ts qt_es.po
> ~/qt/tranlations > $ts_illiterate_app qt_es.po
> ~/qt/tranlations > lconvert -locations relative qt_es.po qt_es.ts    #
>  -locations is 4.6 syntax
>
> now, that was hard. ;)

That's three commands i didn't know they existed, you expect translators (that
remember usually are non technical people) to know them?

> > > but individual teams might very well agree to sign over their souls ...
> > > errm ... whatever. :D
> >
> > Right, that still doesn't help KDE, we need to keep providing our own
> > translations until Qt provides a bigger number of translations.
>
> well, yeah
>
> > > and anyway - you know where to find me. :)
> >
> > Yeah i do, just no idea what i should be talking about to you :D
>
> the idea would be actively encouraging The KDE Translators to contribute
> upstream, despite the legal bullshit. :)

Good luck with that, i sincerely think that Qt translations belong to Qt, but
the licensing is a *problem* to me. And the problem is that i'm sure i own
some kind of copyright over ca/qt.po so you need everyone that contributed
something to agree, not just the current team. So yes, get your legal people
to understand that if you want to be open you have to be open, not greedy.

Albert