KDE/kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Nov 26 17:10:56 GMT 2009

On Thursday 26 November 2009, Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> Well, I see now that my action was not the greatest. I apologize.
> However, disabling Nepomuk altogether is not a solution either. What is
> so broken about the cmake file anyway? "not in an acceptable state" does
> not tell me anything.
> I am more than willing to improve the situation.

Great :-)

What is broken:
as I wrote in reply to your commit:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Coding_Style#.28Not.29_Using_pkg-config

"the FindXXX.cmake must also work without pkg-config, as long as the package
is either installed to one of the default locations (as /usr or /usr/local)
or if CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH is set accordingly"

This was so not the case, I mean it basically consisted of

if(NOT WIN32)
   use pkg-config...
endif(NOT WIN32)

which means it also broke Windows 100%.

It also didn't follow the commit policy for public cmake modules in kdelibs at
all. And you committed that after you broke source compatibility by removing
FindKonto.cmake and FindKNepomuk.cmake just a few hours earlier, and you
should have received my email about that earlier breakage already.

kdelibs/cmake/modules/FindLibXml2.cmake is a good example how to use
pkg-config if you really want to (we don't need it, you just have to set the
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH environment variable to contain the install prefix of the
respective package and it will be found).

Then, please post it to kde-buildsystem (k-c-d) is also ok, and wait for an
explicit ok:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Commit_Policy

We have that, because the installed modules are part of the public interface
of kdelibs, and must be kept compatible during all of KDE 4.x:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_and_Source_Compatibility

Also, does this file have to be installed ?
I.e. are is it used by modules besides kdelibs ?

Alex

P.S. and please also explain what's up with FindKonto.cmake and
FindKNepomuk.cmake.