[Sebastian, Will, Alexander] Problems compiling kdebase-4.3 due to trig

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Nov 25 08:35:50 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 19:56:12 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 November 2009, Volker Krause wrote:

> > > So, kdebase is not building since more than a week now.
> > > The problem is this in kdelibs/CMakeLists.txt:
> > >
> > > if(Soprano_FOUND AND SOPRANO_PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER_FOUND
> > >    AND SOPRANO_PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND_FOUND)
> > >   set(HAVE_NEPOMUK true)
> > >   add_subdirectory(nepomuk)
> > > endif(Soprano_FOUND AND SOPRANO_PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER_FOUND
> > >       AND SOPRANO_PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND_FOUND)
> > >
> > > This part is skipped on my box, which is ok, since this is optional,
> > > otherwise cmake should fail and report that it can't build kdelibs
> > > because RAPTORPARSER and REDLANDBACKEND have not been found.
> > >
> > > But as it is, it succeeds, and skips nepomuk, and by this does not
> > > install e.g. ./nepomuk/core/ui/kmetadatatagwidget.h .
> > > But this is used later on in kdepim, which then fails:
> > > http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=38741
> > >
> > > So, what do we do ?
> > >
> > > Is SOPRANO_PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER_FOUND and
> > > SOPRANO_PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND_FOUND really optional or should we make
> > > it required ?
> > >
> > > Or should the code be built only optionally ?
> > > Then it needs proper checks.
> > >
> > > As it is now, it is broken.
> >
> > as far as KDE PIM is concerned (which the above mentioned build error
> > referes to), Nepomuk is a hard dependency for all practical purposes,
> > this is just not yet reflected in the buildsystem correctly everywhere
> > (it is mostly a runtime dependency anyway).
>
> What does that mean ? Would nepomuk still work if the generated files (from
> raptor/trig) were put into svn and generated only on demand by those who
> know what they are doing ?
> Is the redland and raptor/trig stuff also necessary at runtime or only at
> buildtime ?

ah, sorry, I forgot about the code generators. KDE PIM uses both the
ontology2class and rcgen tool. I don't know the details, but I think the
redland/raptor stuff is a runtime dependency of these tools (and thus a build
time dependency for us). So, yes, putting the generated code into svn could
solve some of these problems. But given the amount of code as well as the
number of places where it is used I would leave that as a last resort, eg. if
some of those tools are not available on one of our supported platforms.

I have no idea about the exact runtime dependencies of Nepomuk itself, I can
only speculate that eg. the Nepomuk ontology loader might need some of this
as well, given the ontology based code generators need it.

regards
Volker