Reusing of KIO slave instances

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu Nov 19 15:42:39 GMT 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009 04:11:15 Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> Did I understand correctly from reading the thread: except for the
> changes in job.cpp you commited your patch? I.e. maxInstancesPerHost
> supprot is already implemented if an app uses the scheduler?

Unfortunately I did not commit any portion of my patch yet for lack of
testing. Instead I opted to use the patch locally for an extended period of
time and see there are any negative side effect and so far I have had none. I
was being overly cautious because this portion of the code affects every single
application that accesses the network or the file system.

> So what I would test is the part of the patch that potentially leads to
> dead-locks in file_copy and friends?

Yes, but in addition someone else besides me has to test whether or not the
default limits used for maxInstances and maxInstancesPerHost are actually
sufficient as well and generally test to see if there are any problems such as
performance degredation etc etc...

> If so, yes, of course I will test that one.

Great, then I will adapt these changes to trunk and post a patch later on
today.