mmap failures in KPixmapCache

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 22:31:25 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 16:58, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Quarta-feira 18. Novembro 2009, às 18.32.44, David Nolden escreveu:
>> Am Mittwoch 18 November 2009 18:21:34 schrieb Parker Coates:
>> > Hello folks,
>> >
>> > Last night I updated to kde-qt master, and kdelibs trunk. Now this
>> > morning, KPixmapCache is producing warnings like the following
>> >
>> > kpat(4633): mmap failed for
>> > "/var/tmp/kdecache-trunk-parker/kdecache-parker/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index"
>> > kpat(4633): mmap failed for
>> > "/var/tmp/kdecache-trunk-parker/kdecache-parker/kpc/kdegames-cards_Ancien
>> >t Egyptians.index"
>> > kpat(4633): mmap failed for
>> > "/var/tmp/kdecache-trunk-parker/kdecache-parker/kpc/kdegames-cards_Trista
>> >n. index" kpat(4633): mmap failed for
>> > "/var/tmp/kdecache-trunk-parker/kdecache-parker/kpc/kpat-cache.index"
>> >
>> > and nothing is being cached. We rely pretty heavily on KPixmapCache in
>> > KDEGames, so the performance of our games is terrible at the moment.
>> >
>> > Is anyone else seeing this issue? Does anyone know what might have
>> > caused the breakage?
>> >
>> > Parker
>>
>> I've seen a similar issue in KDevelop, where suddenly every mmap seems to
>> fail. I think the reason is the updated Qt-4.6 snapshot, that I've
>>  installed through the OpenSUSE build service. It must be somewhere
>>  upstream, as the pure "QFile::map(..)" is failing.
>
> We noticed the test failure on Carbon 64-bit only.
>
> if you see the problem anywhere else, please report ASAP to
> bugreports.qt.nokia.com.

I see it here on "Linux parkotron 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov
10 19:01:40 CET 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux"

Unfortunately, I know nothing about, mmapping or QFile::map. It
doesn't makes sense for me to report it as I can't provide the
relevant details. David, are you able to report it?

Parker