Freeze exemption for PA integration into Phonon

Colin Guthrie cguthrie at mandriva.org
Wed Nov 18 17:54:23 GMT 2009

Yo,

'Twas brillig, and Tom Albers at 18/11/09 17:41 did gyre and gimble:
>> So before you all start going around in circles screaming "pulseaudio
>> prrrrfffft", if PA isn't available at build-time, all the PA-specific stuff
>> becomes nops (and possibly completely optimized away? I don't have enough
>> compiler-fu).

It wont be totally compiled away at build if PA isn't there (due to not
wanting #ifdefs everywhere), but (and I think this is what you mean) the
function calls that are left are noops or "return false"'s and the like
which the compiler is hopefully smart enough to just skip. :)

>> And if Phonon is built with PA integration, but the PA daemon
>> isn't available for some reason (it crashed, or isn't installed, for example),
>> it degrades gracefully.

Yup, basically I try a connection at startup, if it fails I just degrade
to the same mode as if PA is not there at all.

One thing I don't do just now (but am sorely tempted to add) is hide the
PA plugins detected by the backends when PA is not in use... afterall
there is little point in letting the user see and select these if PA
isn't detected! Just another broken configure path.

>> I think this is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help
>> me God, but if I'm wrong, please correct me. :-)

Sounded like gospel to me :p

> A link to the patches would have been nice ;-)

Hehe, yeah:

All my work is in git repos here:

http://colin.guthr.ie/git/ (usually in a branch labelled "pulse"

Phonon Specific changes:
http://colin.guthr.ie/git/phonon/log/?h=pulse
(any commit with my full name is new - it changes to cguthrie when
committed to SVN).

KDE Base Runtime stuff here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/git/runtime/log/?h=pulse

Not as much in the latter. It's based off 4.3 tree but should be trivial
to rebase it on trunk before I commit.

If you just want a handy diff of all the changes in one place:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/phonon/current/SOURCES/phonon-4.3-pulseaudio.patch?view=markup
and
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/kdebase4-runtime/current/SOURCES/kdebase-runtime-4.3.1-backend-globalconfig.patch?view=markup

HTHs