chess and barcelona

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Nov 8 22:06:03 GMT 2009

A Diumenge, 8 de novembre de 2009, Inge Wallin va escriure:
> On Sunday 08 November 2009 20:56:20 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Diumenge, 8 de novembre de 2009, Frank Karlitschek va escriure:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > as a favor for Quim Gil from Maemo I forward two things to you which
> > > might be interesting.
> > >

> > > 1. The Maemo people are doing a "UX meets Code" Hackfest in Barcelona
> > > in December.
> > > All KDE people are invited. Please see this page if you are interested
> > > to participate.
> > > http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo-Barcelona_Long_Weekend
> > >

> > > 2. Quim is looking for developers to help with a Qt 4.6 based chess
> > > game for Maemo.
> > > Check this page if you want to help:
> > > http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature
> >
> > You want kde-games-devel at kde.org for KDE games developers, but not sure
> >  people there is interested in doing Qt/Maemo development, since it's
> >  really not KDE development after all.
>
> I think this reasoning is wrong.  KDE is not just the desktop environment
>  any more, it's the toolkit, including kdelibs and the community. Nowadays
>  KDE applications are cross platform, and the more we can get into the
>  mobile devices and make our apps run on small form factors the better.
>
> Development for Maemo is just our next frontier.

We disagree here :-)

As part of the KDE community I care the less for Maemo until it ships KDE, it
shipping Qt is cool because means i have knowledge to code for it if i feel
like, it gives me more job opportunities, and probably creates more Qt coders
that might or might not end up doing KDE coding but it really doesn't give us
anything, in my opinion, i think it takes coders away from us as people will
stop doing KDE apps because they think the balance between what KDE gives and
the difficulty of running KDE apps on non linux is not worth.

And remember, we've been saying for ages that GTK apps are not Gnome apps,
don't start saying Qt apps are KDE apps because they are not.

Albert