KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 00:51:38 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Em Quinta-feira 5. Novembro 2009, às 16.22.08, nf2 escreveu:
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> > I'd love to see a QtVFS
>> > framework, [...]
>>
>> And what about Maemo? Won't Nokia need such an API there?
>
> Maemo has no need for that yet.
>
> The devices are not always-on nor do they need network transparency like KDE
> does.
>
> In fact, Maemo goes to great lengths to hide the actual filesystem from the
> user.

Ah - ok - because I read something about Maemo and GVFS.

Anyway, QtVFS sounds very interesting. I tried to write Qt/Gio
bindings once, but they were very close to the GIO design of course.
I'm just wondering how a QtVFS would look like:

* Java-IO style like GIO. Kind of the universal IO API. Sync, async,
streams, seeking, thread-safety,...

* Convenient like KIO with it's Jobs. And forcing you to work async.
Which is good in a way.

* Or like QIODevice/QFile. Which - from a GIO perspecive - would be
putting GFile, GInputstream and GOutputstream into a single class.

Norbert