device-automounter moved to kdereview

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Nov 3 23:18:43 GMT 2009

A Dimarts, 3 de novembre de 2009, Jacopo De Simoi va escriure:
> On Tuesday 03 November 2009 02:15:20 Trever Fischer wrote:

> > > Just quickly playing with the solid minibrowser I have a few
> > > suggestions
> > >
> > > First of all, show whichever icon solids give to the device, it really
> > >  really helps to figure out what we are talking about even before we
> > > start reading.
> > >
> > > The volume property info.product is quite uninformative (usually
> > >  Volume(ext3)), but if you jump back to the closest relative which has
> > > a info.product property you will find quite interesting things, such as
> > > ExpressCard, or stuff like that.
> > >
> > > Then I'd compose a string with the following field (with parent I mean
> > > the closest device in the hierarchy which has the infos required)
> > >
> > > parent.info.vendor parent.info.product volume.info.product (size)
> > > Some real-life examples:
> > >
> > > Seagate FreeAgent Go Backup_HD (160 Go)
> > > ST325082 0A MediaHD (250 Go)
> > > Lexar ExpressCard ssdhome (5 Go)
> > > Lexar ExpressCard ssdroot (3 Go)
> > > SD02G Volume (ext3) (2 Go) (with SD icon)
> > > Kingston FCR-HS219/1 MicroSD (2 Go) (I'm cheating here... MicroSD is
> > > the volume label)
> > >
> > > Still, as you can see there's room for improvement, in particular the
> > >  second guy was giving quite debatable information about itself
> > > (however still better than
> > > /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ECBF_30CC)
> >
> > Nonetheless a good idea. I added it to the GUI.
>
> Ok, now this looks much better; what about this, now, to make it look even
>  better;
>
> If (and only if) there exists more than one volume with the same parent,
>  group them with the parent; then the parent will be shown with vendor()
>  and product() and total size (should be available with
>  storage.removable.media_size) and then each child (partition) would just
>  show description() and size This is visually better since it removes
>  redundant information for partitions of the same drive. and makes it
>  easier to browse.
>
> On the other hand, if a volume is an only child, then don't add another
>  node and use the long description we talked about yesterday.
>
> Also, imho the informations should be refreshed even if it's already
>  present in the .rc file whenever possible; besides; who is responsible to
>  fill in the devices in the .rc file? the daemon I suppose; would it be
>  possible to save the pretty name we have found for our device at the
>  daemon level? so that whenever you connect the drive, the user would find
>  it with its pretty name in the disconnected devices node as well. Having
>  it set up at the daemon level could make the kcm part merely read it from
>  the .rc since it will be automagically updated.
>
> Moreover, I believe that the Add device button is useless; nobody would
>  really enter the udi of a device.

I agree here, and the forget device is not of much use either

> Nice job!
> @Albert, what  do you think about the ui fixes?

The list let's you do multiple selection, i don't think that makes much sense.
Also i tried to change Automount on login and Automount on attach from No to
Yes on my pendrive but wasn't able to do it.

Albert