KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Nov 3 18:27:15 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 of November 2009, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On domenica 01 novembre 2009, David Faure wrote:
> > Right. But my point is that people saying "by mounting stuff into the
> >  filesystem we can allow even non-KDE non-Gnome applications to benefit
> >  from kioslaves" are omitting the fact that those non-kde non-gnome
> >  applications would then use synchronous API, and would block for a very
> >  long time.
>
> But that is fine for a few classes of applications. Non interactive
> applications, scripts etc. wait anyway for their data and can use the
> simpler synchronous api. GUI driven applications need something like KIO,
> sure. But the two features are orthogonal.

 I don't think it depends on whether the app is GUI app or not, it depends on
the use case. People browsing documents over SMB and opening them in OOo
doesn't look that unlikely, and I don't see a single major problem with this
if it was handled using FUSE - how is SMB going to block under normal
conditions? And while this could still be handled normally using the
kioclient approach, that would fail badly with e.g. watching a video in
mplayer. Of course, that handled using FUSE would require KIO to support
seeking, but AFAIK GIO has that and therefore this would actually work there.

 There is no need to aim for being perfect.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz