Qt KDE integration in kdereview.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Nov 3 17:01:32 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 of November 2009, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Qt will load the Kde plugin if the Qt application is running on KDE
>
> The Plugin currently provides:
>   * Reading the KDE style name from the config
>   * Reading the KDE palette from The KDE config
>   * Finding the right icon them for QIcon::fromTheme
>   * Some Options such as the toolbar icon size, or the single/double click
> options

 Wouldn't it be better to just go with XSETTINGS[*] for (some of) these? It
would save special-casing them for each X11 desktop and would also solve the
problem of running some app as a different user or remotely (at least, that's
the theory, having a better look at XSETTINGS is somewhere in my
TODO-when-I-have-too-much-time).

[*]http://standards.freedesktop.org/xsettings-spec/xsettings-spec-0.5.html

>   * Finding the icon for a given file (for the QFileSystemModel)
>   * KFileDialog as native backend for a QFileDialog (without the need of
> using the static function, just like in mac or windows)
>   * KColorDialog for the QColorDialog
>
> The plugin should go either in kdeextragear, or kdebase/runtime whatever is
> the most appropriate.
> (kdebase/runtime would ease the release,  but it is more related to the
> version of Qt than the version of KDE)
>
> I am also open to any suggestions of others things the plugin should
> provide (for Qt 4.7)

 You could probably short-circuit some of the stuff in QDesktopServices
directly to the KDE calls instead of all the black magic there.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz