KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 3 01:46:55 GMT 2009

On November 2, 2009, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009, nf2 wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Stefan Majewsky <majewsky at gmx.net>
> > wrote:

> > > KFilePlacesModel in fact looks more versatile to me than the GVFS
> > > mounts.
> >
> > If you - for instance - use a KDE application on Gnome it doesn't help
> > how versatile this model is. It just sucks that it's different, there
> > are things missing, the naming of the items is different, the icons,
> > the ordering and so on... when you click on "Network", something
> > completely different appears. If you want to work with this system,
> > this kind of individualism is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
> >
> > The same thing is true the other way round - for Gtk+ apps on KDE, of
> > course...
>
> So, IOW, your patch makes KDE apps work better in a Gnome environment ?
> Doesn't this give us an advantage over Gnome apps, which don't support the
> same when running in a KDE environment ?
> Could this be also useful for KDE on Mac and Windows ? I.e. do the "places"
>  or how it is called which appear in finder in the left bar appear in
>  Dolphin or our file dialog somewhere ? If not, do Norberts patches make
>  this possible ? I guess there's something similar for Windows ?

on Windows and Mac we should be using the "native" file dialogs, so that's a
non-issue.

on Unix and Linux we should be harmonizing based on OS level standards.

we could harmonize what a "places view" means on Linux/Unix without
bastardizing the KIO layer (or GIO) in the process

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se